"Being a radiologist I want to help patients using novel-images to locate cancer, to show how aggressive it is, and how far it spreads." "In this way, I want to help them to have personalized-treatment with a better chance for cure and fewer side-effects."
- To standardize Prostate-MRI, I initiated with my colleagues PI-RADS. This now is a world-standard to detect aggressive prostate cancer with reduced biopsy-procedures.
- I never gave up on Combidex-nano-MRI: and now it is back (called Ferrotran-MRI).
With this technique, very small (1.5 mm) lymph node metastases of any cancer can be detected, that are negative on PSMA-scans.
- Royal Decoration: "Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion"
- EAU 2020 Innovation Award
- Honorary Member Japanese Radiological Society
- Honorary Member Polish Medical Radiological Society
- Dutch Radiology Wertheim Salomonson Medal
- SAR Lifetime Achievement Award
- Queen Wilhelmina Research Award (2,000,000€)
- Best Scientific Paper European Urology 2017
- 3x SCBTMR Lauterbur Award
I am a medical doctor since 1980 and had my research Ph.D. in 1990. Now I am Professor of Radiology and the Chair of the Radboudumc Prostate MR-Reference Center. This Center
provides education and quality control in prostate-MRI. I am (co)author of >500 peer-reviewed papers, >30,000 citations, with an h-factor of 86 (Google-scholar).
I am proud to be Imaging Editor of European Urology (IF >17). I am trying
to implement high-quality prostate-MRI through education and quality control. Therefore, I am setting up a network of Centers of Excellence.
My patients tell me that they like my empathy. I always try to put them in the center. This is probably
because I was a patient myself. I had severe spinal-nerve damage with a temporary partial spinal cord paralysis due to surgical complications in 2006
To achieve my goals I can be pretty persistent. This is due to my devotion and passion. I sometimes
forget that changes in medical health care take time. I am consulted by patients from all over the world, rich or poor, famous or unknown.
I like to present and educate, see it yourself: "TEDx 2012 yes we scan": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYAi74bWyOk
(this was quite a provocative talk for urologists)
I have dreams to make come true:
1. Global prostate cancer screening using PSA + MRI
2. Global approval and use of nano (Ferrotran) MRI
3. Global prostate-MRI cloud-network to catalyze