Jelle Barentsz is a recognized international top-researcher. He fights cancer using imaging. With optimized imaging he wants to reduce side effects of treatment and increase cure.
He developed PI-RADS to improve early detection of aggressive
He gave rebirth to nano-MRI using small Fe-nano particles (ferumoxtran-10) to detect 1.5mm small lymph node metastases. With his team he further develops, validates, and implements new MRI-techniques.
Currently he tries to set
up PSA-MRI screening and to develop prostate AI to detect significant prostate cancer.
- Royal Decoration: "Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion"
- Dutch Radiology Wertheim Salomonson Medal
- SAR Lifetime
- Dutch Cancer Society Queen Wilhelmina Research Award (2,000,000€)
- SCBTMR Lauterbur Award (3x)
- 1st Author Best Clinical Research Paper European Urology 2017 (photo)
- Highest Citation Award 2012-2016
He became MD in 1980, and PhD in 1990. He has 298 peer reviewed papers, h-factor: 65.
His 3 most important contributions are:
Rebirth of macrophages nano-MRI contrast agent (Combidex)
2. Development, validation and implementation of multi-parametric MRI, resulting in a global prostate MRI center of excellence network
3. Development and implementation of
PI-RADS scoring system for standardized interpretation of prostate MRI.
He is Past-President of ICIS and ESUR.
He is Professor of Radiology and Chairman of the Radboudumc Prostate MR-Excellence Center. This center
provides education and quality control and is visited yearly by >3000 patients.
He is respected, because he is an empathetic man, who always puts the patient in the center. To achieve this goal he does not allow any concessions. His devotion,
passion, and quality result in visits of patients from all over the world. International physicians visit his center to learn his techniques and use them in their practices.
He is a gifted presenter though sometimes provocative: see TEDx 2012 "Yes We Scan":
1. MRI standard practice in men with elevated PSA
2. Global approval of Combidex
3. Prostate Cancer scereening ith PSA + mpMRI
He knows these dreams will come true by focus, persistence and the help of many others.