Jelle Barentsz is a recognized international top-researcher. He fights cancer using imaging. With optimized imaging he reduces side effects of treatment and increases cure.
He developed PI-RADS to improve early detection of aggressive PCa.
He gave rebirth to nano-MRI using small Fe-nano particles (Ferrotran) to detect 1.5mm lymph node metastases. With his team he further develops, validates, and implements new MRI-techniques.
He tries to set up PSA-MRI screening and to develop prostate
AI to detect significant PCa.
- Royal Decoration: "Knight in the Order of Dutch Lion"
- Honorary Member Japanese Radiological Society
- Wertheim Salomonson Medal
- SAR Lifetime-Achievement Award
- Dutch Cancer Society Queen Wilhelmina Research Award (2,000,000€)
- SCBTMR Lauterbur Award (3x)
- 1st Author Best Clinical Research Paper European Urology 2017
- Highest Citation Award 2012-2016 European Radiology
MD in 1980, PhD in 1990. He has >300 peer reviewed papers, h-factor: 71.
His 3 most important contributions are:
1. Rebirth of macrophages nano-MRI contrast
2. Development, validation and implementation of multi-parametric MRI, resulting in a global prostate MRI center of excellence network
3. Development and implementation of PI-RADS scoring system for standardized interpretation
of prostate MRI.
He is Past-President of ICIS and ESUR.
He is Professor of Radiology and Chairman of the Radboudumc Prostate MR-Excellence Center. This center provides education and quality control and is visited
yearly by >3000 patients.
He is respected, because he is an empathetic man, who always puts the patient in the center. To achieve this goal he does not allow any concessions. His devotion, passion, and quality result in visits of patients from
all over the world. International physicians visit his center to learn his techniques and use them in their practices.
He is a gifted presenter though sometimes provocative: see TEDx
2012 "Yes We Scan":
1. MRI standard practice in men with elevated PSA
2. Global approval of Combidex
3. Prostate Cancer scereening ith PSA + mpMRI
these dreams will come true by focus, persistence and the help of many others.